Wednesday, February 27, 2013

LOST IN TRANSLATION

those bangs



i didnt think that language would be a problem moving to an english speaking country. turns out i was very wrong. 

it all started when i ordered a 'tall latte' in my british accent. i was served TWO latte's, apparently a british tall sounds like an american two. i asked for a trolley in the supermarket, i was given a blank face. i asked for courgettes and aubergines and given a zucchini and egg plant. i live in an apartment with a super. i get asked for my cell number. i had to describe blu tack, i mean what is there to describe?

i eventually gave in. i joined in. i fake it. i use their words and even dabble in their accent from time to time.

and so it is that i started growing my 'bangs', not my fringe, my bangs. I have had bangs for years. They've taken on different guises, sometimes short, sometimes long, sometimes as a side bang *see this is where the word 'bangs' just doesn't cut the mustard, its a SIDE FRINGE* but they've always been there.

i wanted a change, i was sick of how they demanded so much attention from me, how they would give in so easily when it rained by frizzing within an inch of their life or even worse, join hands,clumping together into an 's' shape in the middle of my forehead, safety in numbers i guess. 

anyway, that will be no more. they're coming along nicely wouldn't you say?

Key:
cart - trolley
zucchini - courgette
egg plant - aubergine
apartment - flat
super - handy man of the building
cell number - mobile number
bangs - fringe

2 comments:

  1. Lizzie!

    This is has quite possibly just made my day! Within my job, I come up against these language barriers at least once every day. My favourite at present is what they call a "bum bag". I mean a "fanny pack"...really?!

    Anyways, just wanted to share my love of your hilarious post.

    Hope all is well with you and Nick.

    Lots of love

    K aka Kirstich x

    PS You'll always be a north Walian at heart <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirstich, Thanks so much for commenting - my first comment!

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this! Its funny isn't it?! I asked for a 'Jiffy Bag' in the post office but they call it a bubble mailer and so now when I ask I get all confused and forget and call it a jiffy bubbler!!

      Hope you're well
      Lizzie

      Delete